When the video ends, play the accompanying audio page narration.
You may also pause the video at any time to listen to the narration.
37. Wesley Blaisdell House
73 Main Street
Dr. Wesley Blaisdell/John Colvin/Andrew Wolfe House
1838
A two and one-half story, three-by-three bay, temple-fronted, side
hall plan Greek Revival style home. The main block and contemporary
rear wing are built of brick and set on cut stone foundations. A
moderately pitched, asphalt shingle clad gabled roof covers the
house. Fenestration is regular and symmetrical. Windows originally
contained six-over-sixlight sash, which were replaced in the later
nineteenth century by two-over-two light sash. The later sash were
replaced in the 1990s with non-historic single-light units. Windows
feature cut stone sill and lintels.
Dr. Wesley Blaisdell (also recorded as Wesley Blaisdell M.D.) was
born October 12, 1815 in Coeymans, Albany County, New York, the son
of Levi Blaisdell and Mary Farr (Johnstone) Blaisdell. He was the
brother of Fletcher Blaisdell and Harriet Verplank Gardenier
(Blaisdell) Willis.
Blaisdell pursued a career in medicine and was a graduate of medical
school. He served as a brigade surgeon during the American Civil War
(also referred to as the War of the Rebellion). His service included
time in New Orleans, where he took a leave of absence before his
death .
He married Margaret M. (Collins) Blaisdell in Coeymans, and the
couple had several children, including Edward C. Blaisdell, Mary
Melville, Virginia A. Blaisdell, and Margaret Euphenia Akin
WikiTree+1. Margaret predeceased him, dying in 1855 .
Dr. Blaisdell died on October 22, 1864, at the age of 49, from
yellow fever while en route to rejoin the Union Army after his leave
at New Orleans. He is buried in Grove Cemetery in Coeymans, Albany
County.
His life and career reflect the contributions of local physicians to
the Civil War effort, and his legacy is preserved in both family
records and the historical significance of the Dr. Wesley Blaisdell
House in Coeymans, built in 1838 and listed on the National Register
of Historic Places in 2012